Bordered by Bloor St W south to Berry Rd, Riverwood Pkwy west to Royal York rd and Spring Garden Park.
Founded by Alexander Thompson who purchased 200 acres of land in the early 1800’s where he built and lived in a stone residence known as “Rose Bank Cottage” just south of Bloor Street W and Royal York Rd. Thompson’s son, Archibald, lived in a farmhouse just south of his father’s called “Spring Bank Cottage”, which still stands today as a private residence on Meadowcrest Road. His estate was populated with numerous fruit trees; many of these plum, apple, cherry and pear trees still stand and are especially plentiful in the small pocket of Sunnylea known as The Thompson Orchard (west of Royal York Rd, south of Bloor St W).
Over time parcels of the original Thompson tract of land and those surrounding it would become working farms, with a handful of the original farmhouses still standing on Islington Avenue and Prince Edward Drive South.
The 1930’s and 1940’s saw The Kingsway developed north of Bloor Street; at the same time, many of the Sunnylea farms would be subdivided into 30′ residential lots. These decades would see the construction of the bungalows and storey and a half homes that would become characteristic of the area, which are interspersed with the older Tudor-style cottages of an older vintage. Over the past 15 years, many of the houses have been “topped-up” with second storeys, although many area-specific by-laws have been enacted to preserve the original character of the community.
Walk to parks, arena, library, transit along Royal York and Prince Edward, and Bloor St W’s cafes, shops, bars & restaurants including Momiji Sushi, VIBO, Merlot, Gabby’s, Starbucks, Jules Bistro, Azarias, Crooked Cue etc.
Start by registering to receive new listings as soon as they hit the market.